I like this
English Arts & Crafts hall chair, tall-back form with wide slat having organic carved detail, nicely recovered seat and back in a Liberty of London fabric, original finish, 26″w x 26.5″d x 53.5″h
which was on offer at Treadway – Toomey Galleries.
This Otto Wagner Armchair by J&J Kohn was sold at Treadway Toomey Galleries for $ 650, while it was estimated at $1,000 – $1,500. Dirt cheap I would say. Especially when one considers I found the same chair for sale at Sam Kaufman in Los Angeles for $ 2,800 via 1stdibs…
Estimate: $500 – $700. Sold for $325.
On auction September 15, 2012 at Treadway Toomey Galleries
Treadway Toomey Galleries had this Rare Arts and Craft Morris Chair by David Kendall for Phoenix Chair Co. on auction September 15, 2012.
Estimated: $2,000 – $3,000 and sold for $3,500.
Early Gustave Stickley Bench at Treadway Toomey Galleries
Acrylic Stool by Shiro Kuramata at Phillips (the Pury & Company)
Mitak Chair by Christian Astuguevieille at Wright Auctions
Chair Auction Season is Open!
Traditionally when autumn is there, several chair auctions, at least auctions where they offer a reasonable number of chairs, are scheduled:
- September 15, 2012: Treadway Toomey Galleries:”20th Century Art and Design” in Oak Park, Illinois.
- September 27, 2012: Phillips the Pury & Company: Nordic Design Auction in London.
- September 27, 2012: Wright: Living Contemporary in Chicago.
- October 1, 2012: Bonhams, 20th Century Decorative Arts in Los Angeles.
- October 2, 2012: Christie’s Interiors in NYC.
- October 2, 2012: Christie’s Interiors in London.
- October 7, 2012: Lama’s 20ieth Anniversary Auction in los Angeles.
- October 10, 2012: The first Design Auction at the Venduehuis The Hague. I’m thrilled because its a first, its around the corner from where I live and it features almost only chairs!
- October 16, 2012: Phillips the Pury & Company: Moss Gallery curated auction “Dialogues between Art and Design” in NYC.
More to come. Stay tuned!