Yess! Living in the Hague and near its beach resort Scheveningen sometimes makes me nostalgic. Wishing the Scheveningen high back beach chair back on the Scheveningen beaches. In the our category you’ll find some examples and some new designs that could replace the original ones. Thanks to I’ve found evidence that a similar chair must have been en vogue in New England.
Browsing in the Flickr Commons I found this High Back Beach Chair photo dating from 1917. The High Back Beach Chair was common in Scheveningen from around the 1850ies until the 1960ies. The inside is clearly lined with a nice warm blanket. So the photo was not taken in high summer.
In my post Kaigan for Ahrend you can find more about this model.
Huzzay! Dutch designer Marijn van der Poll has taken up my plea in a series of posts to revive the Scheveningen or Dutch Beach Chair:
- Postcard from Scheveningen, a Plea to Revive the Scheveningen Beach Chair.
- Possible to Revive the Scheveningen Beach Chair Design?
- High Back Beach Chair by Patricia Urquiola.
- Leather Button Upholstered Porters Chair at Bonhams.
- Showtime Highback by Jaime Hayon.
- The High Back Beach Chairs (Strandkorf or StrandKorb) of Bartelmann.
- Sardegna High Back Beach Chair by Borek.
Marijn designed the Kaigan for Dutch Office outfitter Ahrend. As yet it seems only feasable for indoor use, but I hope an outdoor version follows soon.